Here is my weekly update regarding hip surgery.
- I’ve been off work pretty much this entire time (I did go in for a half day) so I am a bit nervous about how I will handle being back full-time. I head back to work today. I am still on crutches for another week.
- I still have the stitches but my post-op appointment is soon and those will be removed. I’ve had no issues with the incision sites.
- My knee is still a bit swollen. My hip is not. Strange.
- I’ve been a tiny bit sore/hurting after one PT session, that’s it. Things are going smoothly on that front and I am really looking forward to walking again and getting off the crutches.
- I’ve been on my own now for approx. 1.5 weeks and I am adjusting.
- My place is tiny with only 4 steps to get inside which helps dramatically
- My murphy bed has definitely remained down which is not a big deal other than my dog believes it is also his bed
- Sleeping is a bit interrupted but overall I have been able to sleep most nights pretty well
- Doing daily things aren’t a big deal. Sweeping is different but doable. Taking the trash out means using one crutch and setting it in the back of my truck until I can walk and take it to the dumpster.
- Showering isn’t a big deal as I don’t have a step to get into. I just have to make sure I wear waterproof bandaids, which my PT gave me enough of until the stitches come out.
- Groceries: I have ordered them online and then to get them inside, I put them in a backpack. This I could use help with.
- Most anything that requires carrying, I ask for help or avoid it altogether!
Now, for the mindset. It hasn’t been easy for someone such as myself that really doesn’t like to sit still. I have probably done a bit more than my doctor would like but I have been very aware of how I step and how much weight is on my operative side. It has been pretty nice outside so I have been able to get some fresh air. I put together a list of things I wanted to do during recovery (I did this pre surgery and as daily things came up) and I have checked off most those things that require little movement. I’ve cooked a fair amount. I’ve tried new recipes.
A friend gave me a bunch of art stuff and I have used some of it. I have journaled. I have read. I have researched and bought things from black friday. I’ve given my dog a ton of attention and I’ve done as much cleaning as I can. I’ve even managed to buy a small Christmas tree and wrap a few strands of lights around it (I live in such a small space that I can’t really put up anything other than a 2′ tree!). I’ve helped a friend with her website and I’ve finally completed more than 1 blog post a year! Oh and I have watched my fair share of netflix shows and holiday movies.
I am really looking forward to the next phase which starts at week 4! Unlikely much will change from here till then. Until next time…